When it comes to establishing a successful eCommerce business, there are certain tactical marketing skills every eCommerce entrepreneur must possess.
These skills are required to improve and hone the way you push your offerings to succeed in an increasingly competitive space.
In an earlier post, we spoke about the absolutely must-have skills for eCommerce entrepreneurs.
Picking up from there, we’ve put together a comprehensive list of seven eCommerce marketing skills that every entrepreneur should have in order to find success in 2019.
1. Search Engine Optimization
You’ve heard of SEO time and time again, but for some reason, you haven’t been able to sink your teeth into it just yet. Well, now is the time!
Search engine optimization or SEO is the process of making all the pages of your website visible to and easy for search engines to access and index.
Doing this will help your website to rank higher on search engine results.
Search your .store domain NOW!
For instance, if you are in the business of selling women’s shoes, optimize your website with relevant keywords, content, and backlinks to prompt search engines about what you do.
This way, when someone searches the internet looking to buy women’s shoes, your website page will rank higher than everyone else’s.
SEO is the pinnacle of organic marketing, and once mastered, it will outperform every other paid marketing or advertising channel.
How To Learn SEO Skills?
Here’s how you can master eCommerce SEO skills on your own:
- Read up blogs from Neil Patel, Moz, HubSpot, Search Engine Land, QuickSprout, Yoast, SEMrush, Ahrefs, to name a few.
- Read SEO guides like this one from backlinko.
- Watch YouTube Videos and attend webinars.
2. Content Marketing Skills
The ability to write is key in eCommerce marketing.
You need write a product copy for all your products, start a blog, write an ‘about us’ page, write FAQs, invest in a video script for your social media visuals, respond to customer requirements, product reviews, etc.
While you can hire someone to do this, you still need to train your team when it comes to the overall brand tone and voice of your content.
Not just that, content marketing is the foundation for a successful SEO strategy.
Search engines love new content, and with content marketing, you can publish relevant blogs and incorporate long tail keywords.
This activity will also help you optimize your online store for voice search.
Done well, content marketing will do wonders to drive traffic to your store and win big at eCommerce marketing.
Done poorly, and you are at risk of being looked upon as a fickle brand.
How To Learn Content Marketing Skills?
Writing and creating content isn’t something that comes naturally to most people.
However, you can improve your content marketing skills by:
- Looking at what your competitors are writing about or talking about in their blogs.
- Dive into the tone, voice, and language used in blogs and other forms of content by your industry leaders.
- Use tools such as SEMrush or Ahrefs or Google Keyword Planner to see which keywords you should include as part of your content.
- Learn which keywords your competition is ranking high for.
- Studying what sort of videos and storylines are appealing to your target audience on social media.
- Understanding the pulse of your target market ad which social media platform they spend maximum time on.
- Promoting your content on a relevant social media platform to maximize traction.
Even if you don’t personally get involved in the day to day content creation for your eCommerce brand, acquiring basic content marketing skills will help to keep an eye out over your team.
3. Design Skills
The first step of starting an eCommerce business is to set up a website or online store.
Going down the line, you’ll need to design a logo and decide on your fonts and images for your marketing content.
You’ll also need to pick signature brand colors to differentiate your business from the rest.
These are important marketing skills for an eCommerce entrepreneur.
The way an ad or an article or product brochure or even a product page looks should be in accordance with your brand’s tone.
Search your .store domain NOW!
Not many know that the purchase decision is significantly affected by the marketing material design of your eCommerce brand and the overall web design and UX of your online store.
In fact, Ross Davies, Director at Strafe Creative, recently stated, “To maximize conversions, we always recommend designing and developing a website that’s personal and tailored for your company. It should be a design with a purpose, whether that’s to improve your company’s credibility or to bring through better quality leads.”
How To Learn Design Skills?
Given that design skills aren’t something you can acquire overnight, there are still several ways to improve your understanding of design.
- Get a design crash course through interactive tutorials.
- Experiment with tools such as Canva.
- Follow design blogs such as Designrfix, DesignTaxi, Artwork Abode, 1stWebdesigner, FastCo Design, and Canva Learn, to name a few.
- Understand how to build a mobile responsive website.
- Pick up a Codeacademy course and experiment with code to hone your web design skills.
- Keep an eye out for the websites that you love and study what appeals to you.
- Pay attention to how your competitors or leading players are using typography, store navigation, image placements, whitespace, animation and scroll effects, colors and design elements.
- Be open to feedback and actively incorporate them.
- Remix or recreate some of your favorite web designs or logos.
- Use tools such as Instagram and Pinterest to get new design inspirations for your website, images, and ads.
4. eCommerce Analytics
When it comes to marketing skills, every successful eCommerce entrepreneur must have the ability to examine facts and study statistics to make sound business decisions.
Marketing budgets are all about allocating funds after carefully analyzing facts and figures. This is data analysis, and it is a supremely important parameter of modern-day eCommerce marketing.
Data is the key to marketing success.
You need to know how effective certain strategies have been, which platforms work well for you and which don’t, which social media platform does your target audience spend the most amount of time, and other such vital information.
Learning this skill will tremendously help to strategize your efforts and allocate investments in order to get maximum returns.
How To Learn eCommerce Analytics?
Here’s how you can learn the art of eCommerce analysis:
- Get Started with Google Analytics’ E-commerce Integration
- Study your search traffic that comes directly from search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
- Study the campaign traffic that has been tagged by the marketer.
- Study your referral traffic that comes directly from a link on a different website.
- Read blogs on eCommerce data analytics
- Join webinars that teach eCommerce analysis
- Understand mouse tracking, conduct customer surveys, take website & exit intent polls, do an on-page SEO audit and a shopping cart abandonment audit.
- Dive into A/B testing and user testing to see where your website lacks in terms of usability
5. Smart Advertising
eCommerce advertising must be done across multiple channels and via various forms of media.
This includes pay-per-click ads on search engines and on social media sites, display advertising, native advertising, mobile advertising, pop-up ads, video ads, and more.
As an eCommerce entrepreneur, you must possess marketing skills to understand how advertising works and how to get the maximum possible return on investment.
Search your .store domain NOW!
How To Learn eCommerce Advertising Skills?
Ad management is a challenging marketing skill to master.
But given the endless possibilities of driving sales and profits, learning everything about advertising is well worth the effort.
- Read about storytelling and how to incorporate popular ad tactics for your eCommerce brand.
- Take cues from successful ads (either from your niche or another industry vertical).
- Learn everything there is about digital marketing by joining classes or reading up forums or watching YouTube tutorials and webinars.
- Test your ads or ideas on a focus group or with your friends and relatives to see what works and what doesn’t.
- See what your competitors are doing and where they are excelling or lacking.
6. Email Marketing Skills
Email is still regarded as one of the most effective eCommerce marketing channels.
Therefore, marketing skills in this arena will surely help you to better reach and communicate your business and products to prospects and customers.
With email marketing, you have the chance to directly reach your target audience and demonstrate your core competency and push your brand.
How To Learn Email Marketing Skills?
- Email marketing skills aren’t all that hard to learn or acquire. Here’s what you should do:
- Learn from the emails you have in your spam folder and avoid making your emails spammy like them.
- Learn about the various subscriber acquisition mechanisms and list building activities.
- Use tools such as MailChimp to search for the perfect templates and structures
- Take cues from compelling emails you’ve received from other brands.
- Include compelling call to action buttons and social media links
- Learn about video integrations and include a short informative video
- Ensure that your landing page is mobile responsive.
- Read up blogs and watch video tutorials to improve your overall email marketing skills.
7. Marketing Automation
Marketing automation has swiftly become an in-demand marketing skill for eCommerce entrepreneur.
Marketing automation has the power to significantly reduce marketing expenses, boost conversion rates, increase average order value, and, even improve shopper experience, in some cases.
As a skill, marketing automation involves managing core marketing functions and processes in automated platforms.
Marketo, Eloqua, HubSpot, Infusionsoft, MailChimp, are examples of marketing automation tools.
How To Learn Marketing Automation Skills?
Marketing automation is a skill you must learn in order to streamline your marketing activities. Here’s how you can do it:
- Find the automation tools that you think will work for your business and master them.
- Read about them on blogs and watch tutorial videos on YouTube.
- Refer to guides for additional assistance.
Building an eCommerce business is challenging given the mammoth costs and ingenuity required to sustain in this competitive space.
However, promotional activities can be simplified if you have the necessary marketing skills to lead your team and to strategically build your business.
So, what are you waiting for? Get started now!
Starting an online store? Build it on a .store domain!
Search your .store domain NOW!